4660 Kenmore Avenue
Alexandria, Virginia 22304
What can I do to prevent getting STDs?
The only sure way to prevent most STDs is not to have sex. If you do have sex, the following may help reduce your risk of getting an STD.
- Know and limit partners – your partner’s history is just as important as your own.
- Talk with your partner – shame and fear can hinder open and honest communication.
- Know the symptoms and seek medical care if you develop a problem.
- Use a latex condom and avoid use of oils or petroleum jelly.
- Spermicides may help guard against some STDs.
- Avoid risky sex practices.
What are the risk factors for breast cancer?
Several risk factors have been identified with the development of breast cancer. The incidence of breast cancer obviously increases with advanced age in women. In addition, hormone replacement, especially when it combines of estrogen and progesterone may increase the risk of cancer.
Other risk factors include:
- Family history of breast cancer
- An early age of menarche (when the period starts).
- Late age of menopause
- Later age of first live birth
- Any history of benign breast disease which has been biopsied increases risk of breast cancer=
- more on Breast Cancer Awareness
What is amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea is when a woman does not have her periods. There are two kinds of amenorrhea. The first kind is when you haven’t had your period at all by the time you are 16 years old. The second kind is when you are used to having periods and you stop having them for three months in a row. If you’ve never had periods you may have late puberty. This may happen if you are very thin or very athletic. Some other causes may be that you have a hormone problem or there may be problem with your uterus, vagina or ovaries. It’s a good idea to get a check-up. Your healthcare provider can make sure you do not have any of these problems.
What can be done to prevent missing a period?
To keep your periods normal, it is important to stay healthy. Eat and exercise to keep a healthy weight. Don’t use alcohol or street drugs. Medicines like sleeping pills can also make your periods stop. Don’t smoke. Get the help you need to lower stress and problems in your life. Talk to friends, family, or a counselor for support. Try to balance your work, play and rest.
How does exercise help me stay healthy?
Exercise helps both your body and your mind. It helps lower your risk or disease. It helps you feel better. When you exercise every day, you can lower your chances of having: a stroke, heart disease and diabetes. Exercise can lower your blood pressure, blood cholesterol and blood sugar. Exercise helps your mood. It changes how you feel and gives you more energy and helps you to sleep better.
4660 Kenmore Avenue